Please note that this is the last 2003 edition of Environment News Service. Our first edition of 2004 will appear on January 15th.
On behalf of our Team, we wish you a merry Christmas and a happy and a healthy New Year!
Added to Treaties page:
* Kyoto Protocol (Kyoto, 1998)
0 Directive 2003/87/EC of 13 October 2003 establishing a scheme for greenhouse gas emission allowance trading within the Community and amending Council Directive 96/61/EC. See for further details on EC climate policy the ’Commissions website.
0 According to the report “Greenhouse gas emission trends and projections in Europe” of the European Environment Agency (EEA), the EU and many Member States will probable fail to meet their promises on cutting greenhouse emissions.
Note from the editors: The EEL website will soon feature a Climate Change dossier with more information and links on this important subject.
Added to Legislation page:
* Regulation (EC) No 2152/2003 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 November 2003 concerning monitoring of forests and environmental interactions in the Community (Forest Focus)
* Commission Directive 2003/112/EC of 1 December 2003 amending Council Directive 91/414/EEC to include paraquat as an active substance
The directive reauthorizes the herbicide paraquat as a permitted active substance and will enter into force on November 2004.
* Directive 2003/87/EC of 13 October 2003 establishing a scheme for greenhouse gas emission allowance trading within the Community and amending Council Directive 96/61/EC.
Added to Documents page:
* Brussels European Council: Presidency Conclusions (12 December 2003)
Added to Case law page:
*C-448/01, EVN and Wienstrom
ECJ 4 December 2003, nyr
This judgment deals with the legality of the use of environmental protection criteria by contracting authorities under Community legislation on public procurement. It explains under which conditions public authorities can favor renewable energy when awarding electricity supply contracts. For an earlier judgment on a similar issue, see case C-513/99, Stagecoach Finland v. Helsingin Kaupunki HKL-Bussiliikenne.
Added to Conference page:
*18 December 2003, EU and WTO constraints on national environmental product regulation, Brussels, Belgium
Wybe Th. Douma (T.M.C. Asser Institute, The Hague)
Daria Ratsiborinskaya (Institute of European law, MGIMO-University, Moscow)
Marco van der Harst, Julien J.M. Simon
(T.M.C. Asser Institute, The Hague)