Added to the Case law page:
* Case C-159/01, The Netherlands v. Commission, ECJ 29/04/2004, nyr
The need for changes to the Dutch implementation of the Nitrates directive became clear already in Case C/322-00, Commission v. Netherlands. This time, it is the Netherlands bringing a case against the Commission, but again the Commission wins. The ECJ confirmed the opinion of the Commission (laid down in a decision of 21 December 2000) that tax exemption aspects of the Dutch system were violating Article 87 EC Treaty, notably because of lack of proof justifying these exemptions.
Added to the Dossiers page:
* Update of the European Climate Policy dossier, by Leonardo Massai
Includes an overview of European Commission report of May 2004, overviews of NAPs and update of studies’ list.
Added to National page, Russia:
* Ecological tourism: travel to National Parks in Russia
Added to the Documents page, under EEA:
* EEA Annual Survey 2004
The European Environment Agency has issued its new survey of environmental trends in its 31 member countries on 1 June 2004. The survey shows amongst other things that evidence of climate change is growing, that nitrate pollution from farming continues and evidence suggests that consumers are paying most of the clean-up costs for drinking water, that much of Europe’s population is still exposed to air pollution above health protection levels and that the amounts of packaging waste keep increasing, revealing that current policy tools are inadequete.
Added to the Documents page, under Commission Communications:
* Commission Communication COM (2004)366 fin. of 26 May 2004, The share of renawable energy in the EU Report in accordance with Directive 2001/77, evaluation of the effect of legislative instruments and other Community policies in this field. The report shows that the EU’s 12% renewable energy target will probably not be met, but 10% might be achieved.
Added to the Conferences page:
* 1-3 June 2004, Energy. Energy Effectiveness. 2004, Saratov, Russia
* 1-4 June 2004, Water: Ecology and technology. EQUATECH-2004, Moscow, Russia
* 2-4 June 2004, Water – a Miracle, Constantza city, Romania
* 22 August – 3 September 2004, Course on International Environmental Law-making and Diplomacy, University of Joensuu-UNEP, Joensuu, Finland
A two-week course on international environmental law-making and diplomacy, seeking to transfer past experiences in the field of environmental law to the future negotiators of environmental agreements. In addition, the Course aims to provide a forum to foster North-South cooperation and to take stock of recent developments in negotiations and implementation of multilateral agreements and in diplomatic practices in the field. NOTE The application deadline is 15 June 2004. For more information contact: University of Joensuu; tel: +358-13-251-2709; fax: +358-13-251-4893; e-mail: email@example.com; Internet:
* 9-10 October, 2004, Crises and Sustainability, Warsaw, Poland
Wybe Th. Douma (T.M.C. Asser Institute, The Hague)
Jens Hamer (Academy of European Law, Trier)
Daria Ratsiborinskaya (Institute of European law, MGIMO, Moscow)
Marco van der Harst, Julien J.M. Simon (T.M.C. Asser Institute, The Hague)